29 January 2008

Day 1 & 2 - The leaving and the arriving

I plan to write about our first 30 days so you can keep up with my thoughts and what we are experiencing here in Tokyo as a first time, family move.
Heres day 1 and 2.
The leaving is never fun, the packing is less fun. So many last minute, small details seem to take up so much time to organise. I wanted to make sure I could spend the last day with my family but still, even though we were pretty organised, the last minute things took until after midday. I will miss you all very much but this kind of move makes my relationships with my family and friends even stronger because I cannot see you whenever I want to, so my thoughts about you make me very happy and appreciative that you are in my life. At home it dont feel this so strongly because you are accessible.

The trip was long, mini was great despite teething and drooling. I managed to watch "The Brave One" in a few parts which was cool. Arriving in Tokyo it was about 5 degrees, ouch. I forgot about the coldness of cold when its 40 degrees and a bit of cold is all I can hope for. Tokyo feels familiar and not scary. People seem, very nice, polite, thoughtful, well dressed!! Our house is warm, hooray, it is bigger than our house at home and we have some new furniture but no chairs to sit on yet. We have eaten some nice take away, such a great prices and very good food. This kind of food would not be classed as take away at home because it is too good! I am so impressed what you can get for $4 or $5, excellent. We have caught the train and the bus, the bus is much easier as not all stations have elevators. This makes life difficult with a pram and besides the bus drops off and picks up from the end of the street and takes you to the middle of downtown Shibuya for $2, ace. Mooch is still on Melbourne time so 4am is his 6am but not for us...it will take a few days to get him adjusted. Coffee puh-leese.......First two days has been great. It seems we have done this move with not too much fuss and not too many errors and just a little bit of anxiety. I have had a stomach ache for about a week. I hope it goes away soon. I forgot you can buy small packets of things, just enough for one serve. I could even get a small tray of mince meat, just about 100gm to make some food for mooch. I like that, I waste too much food at home because I cannot finish it. I was also happy to pick up, already sliced onions, one banana nicely packaged and $7 strawberries that would have to be the best tasting things I have eaten in a while. The food is excellent and the presentation is beautiful. We went to the supermarket early and were greeted by the staff as we entered who all bow and say good morning and handed us a basket. These are the thing we really need to enjoy as so many things are homogenous, these things are unique and what make Japan, Japan. Long Long arrives on Thursday. Oyasumi xxx

No comments: