14 October 2007

geeeezzzz

No picture today just a bummer feeling on such a lovely sunny day. I went out for a walk, lovely sunshine, light breeze and all the tourists that migrate to our part of town to lick ice creams the soon as any sun pokes it head through the clouds. It was busier than usual with people walking, talking and licking and amongst this, quite depressingly I saw, one dog do a poo that was not picked up, a kid kick a glass bottle into the sea and watch it fall without picking it up, a guy throw a cigarette butt onto the ground (still alight), and a guy who opened up his car door put a tray full of rubbish on the ground then step out of the car OVER it and leave it there (he was literally next to as bin). I feel I cannot confront every one of these people, as aside from being dangerous in terms of my personal safety and that of my boy, it is not the kind of psycho role model I want my son to see. I did however ask the kid to pick up the bottle which he replied 'yeh' and just left it there. It kind of left me feeling that if these small things are happening every minute or so, and no care or thought is taken then how can we tackle the much bigger issues of pollution and waste reduction? Maybe it is the sum accumulation of these small things that has created the problem in the first place. I hope the small things I do and at the least, my concience about what I leave behind, may help contribute to a brighter and healthier future for our world and our kids. I'm not saying I deserve a Nobel Peace Prize because I recycle my plastics but I know I am not the only one who thinks putting rubbish in a bin and picking up your own dogs poo is a no brainer....................

No comments: