8 October 2007

serial DIY

I have a habit, one that is very hard to beat...serial DIY. There is just one problem with this, I often do not finish the DIY projects (or have the skills to do it in the first place). This irritates my loved one who's philosophy is, if you cant finish it dont start it or the alternative, get a handyman. Both very logical arguements, I do agree, but my serial DIY seems to have a life of its own and any trip to Bunnings or the like, is a dangerous journey of possibilities (its best to go with my loved one to keep the voice of reason clear and loud). So, I went one day by myself...good one.....and bought a lot of bottles and cans to resurface the shower base. It had been painted previously to us moving in and had started to peel and was difficult to clean. How hard could it be to strip paint, remove grout, replace grout and repaint? I can totally do that!!!! Above photo is during paint stripping stage. So, like I have nothing better to do at nights when the baby is asleep, not....I am scrubbing the shower base, cleaning the shower base and basically spending a LOT of time bent over the shower base. Now I am on my 5th day of having a bath while the shower base gets finished, its no longer fun to be a serial DIY'er. BUT, I have come to the end of the road and last night put the final layer or paint sealer over the tiles and new grout. It looks great but oh the smell....how anyone could sniff that stuff for FUN?....I had a huge towel wrapped around my face to cover my nose and I could still smell it......There is one teeny little (I mean big) disappointment...the shower head has a habit of dripping and did so while the paint was drying, so now I have a very smooth and slightly interrupted shower base. The paint stinks so badly and takes 24 hours to dry and I NEED A SHOWER....so bad luck. One more DIY project half finished!! Next project is the front door, it is falling off and I intend to fix it!

1 comment:

Daddy Bear said...

Hi Paula,

What a chuckle :-) Good luck with the front door.

I just came across RedBubble (http://www.redbubble.com/) in a Australian Anthill magazine and immediately thought of you and your cards. You may know already but RedBubble has been started by an Aussie as an online marketplace for art and artists. They're trying to build a community as well as a forum for art sales.

Pls say hi to the "voice of reason" from me. Hope you are all well.

Luke