14 August 2006

my fortune


I was looking through some old photos of my time in Japan when I came across this beautiful memory. There was a temple nearby my home that is devoted to relationships, marriage and bringing good fortune to couples. This is a photo of my fortune (which related to my future husband). The fortune is purchased from the small temple shop and looks like a simple piece of white paper, only, the fortune is written in invisible ink. Only when you go to the pond at the rear of the temple and float the paper with a coin on top, is your fortune revealed (there are lots of other signifcant things such as the type of coin rested on top, if the fortune sinks, or how long it takes to sink, the surrounding plants and location of the pond etc...). It is very a beautiful memory as there are temples that are devoted to relationships and marriage and children, all over Japan (as well as temples and shrines for many other reasons) and I realise there is nothing as gentle, quiet and well intentioned as that in Australia.

No comments: