21 November 2008

miso cooking class



M is for miso and G is for a great cooking class!! I do have a lot of photos but genius that I am, I forgot my memory card so they are on the camera but until I get a cable that fits that's where they will stay...so just a little drawing instead :)....there are some good shots of the class in action and the amazing house!! The class was held at a house belonging to a glass artist who makes her living making stained glass windows and of all things, kaleidoscopes...they are so beautiful...and her hobby is painting big canvasses....of course all in her super fab studio in her basement....all complete with a glass kiln....made me jealous because I thought of my work space............. the kitchen bench, usually piled with all manner of non related stuffs and bits and bobs......which I'm not very decisive what to do with so they stay there....until I get sick of looking at them.....ANYWAY...the theme of the class was MISO. That very delicious bean paste which is the base of many Japanese dishes. I was really keen to go to this class as I wanted to broaden my Japanese cooking skills. So the miso paste was handmade earlier this year by a couple of girls in the group....we made about 5 dishes using various meats, veges and combinations. I learned a couple of really basic rules, things I can use everyday so I'm thankful just for those small things. Another bonus was it was all in Japanese.....I miss being immersed in the language, I'm sure my ability would improve out of sight if I had that exposure. Of course I can understand far more than I can speak (just like mooey...!!) so I tried my best and we had a great time. I was so full I couldn't eat dinner but its always good to be full of good food...and boy does Japan do good food :)

No comments: