11 February 2010

nostalgia

All our stuff arrived in the shipping container this week. Finally we have abed to sleep in and clothes and shoes. Opening all the boxes has somehow made me feel very nostalgic and really miss Japan. It is an experience that can only be lived while it happens and I can only keep the memories and so, it seems bitter sweet that I have been able to touch a breathe those days but now I cannot. I am truly happy to be home and found adjusting to a new life has been very enjoyable. Now 3 weeks into a full time job, I realise just how much time we spend doing work, away from our homes, and families and friends. Things just don't get done at home and I try, but I am not a superwoman :) its just time and managing it.

I often think when Long Long meets another dog, that the butt sniffing is so disgusting and I yank his head and say 'c'mon, let's go' but as a new worker in a new office, it is exactly the same for humans...well, not the actual sniffing bit of course, but the assessing, the finding out, the slight uncomfortable feeling, until it all settles down....I can see though, as much as I go through a big change, the others in my workplace also have to adjust to me, a new person, who keeps asking the same questions, in a nice way, and try not to bother them but they know their work piles up as they spend time with me...... for me, I have no allies and no friends, yet, so its best to just do my best while making friends with everyone and watch how the others interract, and listen to how the bosses speak.

In other news, maybe you know, I am a two fingered typist, yes the two index fingers stab the keyboard, I think efficiently, but do not ask what my husband thinks :) last night while washing the dishes I managed to run on of my very useful index fingers along a very sharp knife who was hiding in the water under a plate....ouch....almost in need stitches but not quite. So, now I type with my index finger and the middle finger, with a huge white bandage on my cut finger.....I am soooo looking forward to roll up to my work desk and try to conceal THAT! I am not sure how I plan to write anything :)

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I can't believe I haven't been reading and now I update myself and you've moved back to the same city! I thought of you last week as we've been contemplating a trip to Japan with the girls this year!

Theresa said...

Blessings to you on this change.