13 September 2006

pink floral inspiration




Bright pink is one of my favourite colours. It just so happens at this time of year (early spring) there are many flowers blooming and early morning skies in this colour. The top photo is a blossom tree not far from my house. I'm sure I am not the only one who walks past it on purpose to admire its beauty. Fortunately blossoms dont last long, so must be appreciated without delay (take time out to smell the roses).

The cake is for my friends birthday which is today. I was ruminating cake decorating ideas when walking past the florist I saw a lovely bunch of pink runuculus (sp?). I imagined it as a perfect springtime cake decoration. I have several boxes of silk flowers waiting to be used for creative purposes, so blended the real and artificial to create my own little cake/florist and hopefully see some smiles from a happy birthday girl.

To make it, simply buy an undecorated sponge cake (or make one - a ring cake might work well). Cut flower stems right down to the neck under the flower head. Stick a toothpick under the head where the stem was, this allows for stability of the arrangement and to give height when needed. I also laid a sheet of baking paper between the top of the cake and the flowers to prevent any nasty flavour/dust/debris transfer....viola :)

No comments: