2 July 2008

tuna

This is a scene from the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo. It is by far the most fascinating fish market I have seen. Aside from the usual supsects you might see at a fish market, this place has the tuna. It is amazing to see so many tuna fish, huge with swollen bellies, some with silken and shiny skins and others frozen solid.
These men are cutting one of the fish. Many of the stalls have cross section slices of meat so you can check the quality.


This guy is off somewhere...

all wrapped in ice and green blankets on top. Over fishing of our oceans is in your face when you see a small slice of the global seafood industry here......
There is no fishy smell at this market despite its size and being rainy season. It was very, very clean and organised even though it was very busy and noisy. The stall holders were very obliging in allowing us to take photos, not like some of the countries I have visited, one where I had a bucket of water thrown at me.....It was truly information overload with so many things to see, hear and investigate........and take photos. These photos must be attributed to my dearest husband who has managed to ace any former shots by these ones.
My sistser and bro in law have been here for the past few days and we took them and mini moo. I carried moo in a baby sling on my back....did I mention he weighs about 14kg these days....he was so quiet, the noise and things to see must have been an overload for him. I think because of that, he only wanted to be carried by me......but for me, that warm feeling of being able to protect him and comfort him when he is scared was enough to sustain my aching back and legs.......Of course, the tradition after seeing this market is to eat sashimi and sushi, preferably tuna. We found a great little place and shared some nice snacks and found ourselves heading home by 9am after a very busy morning.
My sister and bro in law are now on their way to Paris....I know we live in Tokyo which is so fantastic but I am a little jealous because we had such a great time in France and I know they will too. I miss them today.



No comments: