29 January 2009

words no pictures...

Im still waiting for my computer so just dropping in to say I'm still here and have been collecting lots of photos and drawings for when I'm back online! It seems so far this year a lot of stuff has broken...my camera is going to cost $500 to get fixed...so it wont be getting done, and travel insurance cannot cover it..boo.....my computer has already gone to heaven....and now not one but two hard disk troubles........and also a power transformer problem......the shop that sells these kinds of things is getting used to these two foreigners coming in and putting both their Japanese skills togethere to ask for complicated things.....but we learned a few new words, 'refund', 'repair', 'usb'.....all kinds of useful stuff.....so I hope thats the end of the broken stuff and ready for the new year!!

Winter in Tokyo is amazingly nice. Its cold but very clear on most days. Years back, I was living on the west coast which was buffetted by cold winds and snow and made every winter seem unbearably long ( a little like the Tokyo summer and some of what poor boiling Aussies are currently experiencing)....also, in rural Japan, insulation is not big on the list of qualities in a house....so being here in Tokyo in a house with double glazed windows and a fairly temperate climate makes winter.....enjoyable......but of course spring is so close, plum blossom buds are starting to appear and shops are filling up with all cherry blossom stuff, well, its just next to all the valentines stuff, but once thats over it will be sakura crazed shopping......it really is lovely.

I have been making a lot of stuff, cooking and drawing since I spend no time on blogs at the moment. I have lots of cool stuff which is working out better than planned, finishing off projects which have been sitting there for 12 mths, planning/preparing lots of things to do with the mooch and just enjoying these days and not trying to hurry back to Oz (it will happen soon enough) or to another place or basically act like a chook with its head cut off. I'm trying to buy a little less of everything and reuse or recycle more and think more about what I can do. Write and prepare shopping lists and meal plans and just enjoy being a bit more thrifty. I did see a lady in the supermarket the other day, unwrap all her fruits and veges from the plastic bags they came in and put them into separate new plastic bags...I mean one banana per bag.............it felt like the moment when you see a really tough guy flick his cigartte butt out of the car window on a hot day.......like you really want/need/should say something but the voice of reason stops you for whatever reason.................

No comments: