13 March 2008

the poop etiquette

I didnt know whether this was going to be interesting, but I have found it fascinating so thought it might be worth making a note about it. There are manners about everything here in Japan, even the mute key on your mobile is called the 'manner mode'. There are books and magazines on manners and what should be done where. I like manners and I am trying to teach the mooch about how to say 'ta' and begin to tell him what is acceptable and not acceptable. I like that people here are courteous, helpful, speedy, friendly, thoughtful, respectful, careful. There is even a language called Keigo, which is spoken to elders or used in very formal situations. Many people dont know how to use it in depth these days, as it is kind of old fashioned and not necessary as there are not too many emperors and samurai these days.....but always in shops and other public places, you and other people are referred to in this very polite manner of speech. This politeness and manner is instrinsic everywhere. Like many things, manners can be picked up simply by watching how other people do things. So begins the poop etiquette. I walk a lot with the dog and at home in Australia picking up poop is just part of the walk. Here in Japan it is more than just an absent minded chore. After being here 6 weeks I am realising I am not doing the poop collection thing in the right way and I feel people are noticing. After all the dog is a blue and white whippet, I am a foreigner and have a huge and usually very talkative mooch. I am easy to spot. As it is not always possible to predict the quantity, quality or number of poops on any given walk one needs to be prepared, clearly just bringing the bags is not considered prepared. Most people take a handbag when they are out walking with their dog and in it is a mix of the following:
  • plastic poop bags
  • newspapers
  • toilet papers
  • water bottle
  • junk mail

I would have thought this was a bit of over kill but I had not walked in streets where there is no grass whatsover, no big smelly gardens, no dirt. No kind of ground cover whatsover that soaks up wee or poops. That means whatever comes out stays on the ashphalt or runs in all directions. In addition, houses are packed in so you are guaranteed that anything that comes out is going to be on someones front doorstep and with a population of over 20 million, you can be sure someone will see your dog do it. More than once I have been faced with a very sticky, smelly pool of poops and seriously at that time, I wish I had one of those handbags with all those tools in it. One of these poop pools was deposited at a busy bus stop, at least 15 people waiting, right where you get on......I wished the ground to open up and swallow me. Im with it now. I got a bag with some tools. The water is so you can wash the wee away or any sticky poop pool residue. Some people have a nozzle like a watering can on the end of a the bottle, I think thats a great idea!! The paper is proving more of a challenge. You are supposed to be ready with a piece of junk mail or newspaper and then at the right poop moment slip it under the bum and catch it. Some people hold the paper and let the dog poop in the paper. And others still go the bum wipe.....Ok, I love Long Long but I am not going that far........Im not the mid air kind of poop catcher so I have been laying it on the ground. BUT you need serious co ordination to get the paper out, unfold it and get it positioned so all the poop gets on it, all in a few seconds. Especially when you have an indescisive dog looks who looks like he wants to do it but then changes his mind. So Im forever getting out the bit of paper then putting it away and then just to tease me he does it the minute I look away. I guess its just practice. At least now when I get into a messy bit of trouble I have the tools to show others that I have the manners to keep myself and the ground clean and organised. Oh, by the way, there are no bins so you bring everything home.

No comments: