3 March 2008

Day 30 and beyond - this is life

We got a car and this has allowed us to take some great trips these past few days. Space and clean air is possible to find and often less than an hour drive out of Tokyo. You can access most places by public transport but as with any type of travel, often the best experiences are the ones you find by accident and off the beaten track - which you cant do as easily by using PT. The amazing and beautiful Mt Fuji and surrounds was very clear when we saw it. Luckily the head of the house was so excited to drive the new car, it meant we were out the door by 8am, but it also meant we got these beautiful views before the clouds rolled in. I had visited this place before but it was so cloudy I could only glimpse at the size of the mountain (volcano). It is enormous, lovely, quiet and spiritual. I have no desire to climb it.
The nearby temple is dedicated to the spirits of the area to take care of the volcano so it does not erupt. It is a beautiful temple, quiet, mossy and very big.

These shoes were waiting outside.
From the car you can get a very good view of the mountain. It is a beauitful symmetrical shape unhindered by any other natural (but plenty of man made) structures (including a very big amusement park with a lot of roller coasters...)....

This field of space is at a place called childrens country. It is a large area of trees, woods, mini zoo, walks, some rides and bikes, picnic areas and just some space to relax and fly kites, run around and relax. It was a great drive for us. I think the dog would have loved to have a run here, they dont allow pets unfortunately....
So how about my first 30 days in Japan? So far it has been far less stressful and lonely than I thought it would be. Life has happend quite naturally, as our belongings arrived, we keep finding new places, new freedoms and new thoughts. It seems that you can really feel you are living when you are outside your 'normal' life, the one you usually have at home. Time is borrowed here and the soon as we began it already felt like the countdown to finishing. I feel this very strongly. This is the motivation to do as much as possible and see as many things as we can because we will not be able to do these things when we are outside Japan. I really like Japan. The people are lovely and respectful and gentle, generally. There is a common respect for other people and other peoples things that I often feel missing at home. The food is so amazing. It is always the best quality and the best variety. The seafood and fish is the best I have eaten. The strawberries and sweet and ripe, everytime. The service in restaurants is fast and thoughtful. A small dish and fork often appears for the mooch, without me asking. Sometimes complementary ice cream arrives. I feel this time in Japan, I dont need to be so patriotic in a flag waving kind of way. I will be an Aussie wherever I go and that is a good feeling. I miss home but I know it is there and that is enough comfort. The mooch is now in daycare two days a week, it is good so far for us both. I have not yet passed the stage where I stop thinking about him all day while he is there and get ready 2 hrs before he is due to picked up. Im sure this will pass as I get used to it and do more of my own things. He is growing up so fast and becoming such a lovely person. I didnt think I could love anyone as much as I love him. I saw a doco last night where a fox came into a nest and stole an egg and the mother was screeching. I felt that. So, my first 30 days has been incredible. I dont feel like I have grown up, but Im sure I have.












1 comment:

pungsnotded said...

what an amazing experience, I cannot imagine!