13 October 2006

melbourne international arts festival


The Melbourne International Arts festival opened last night. I went to see The Actors' Gang performing George Orwell's 1984. On first impression I thought it might be tying in with public conciousness to clarify the whole big brother thing and to bring some real meaning to an otherwise useless waste of mind/TV space. Upon watching the show, I am reminded (after reading the book a long time ago) that it aspires to much more than clarifying or quantifying something as trivial as a TV reality program. The story, as it probably always did from the start, paralells what is happening, especially today in our world of fear mongering and media brainwashing. It was like watching a commercial station current affairs program with all the underlying criticisms exposed. Although a heavy performace, there were some well scheduled laughs to lift the mood. One of the coolest things about the festival is the theme of the visual arts program with animals everywhere!!! Of course the wonderful Spiegeltent is back with Paul Kelly repeating his amazing A-Z of songs over several performaces. I think this is such a cool idea. BUT I will just have to listen to him on ipod as my baby is due any day around that time......take the time to go and see at least one thing and support the arts!!


My image today is a homage to the exhibition Pet Project, and even though I am not an exhibitor, I can still show my image in my own little way.....

No comments: