27 November 2006

accidental cuteness

While wok shopping on the weekend I found this very cute selection of wrapping papers. The kittens in the basket remind me of my primary school days and swap card collection which I loved but have no idea where it is these days. My sister and I used to go the the local milk bar, which we called "Fat Bev's" and deliberate for a very long time over both the mixed lollies and swap cards she sold.

The wok is also an excellent buy. It has now been seasoned with lard and had an innaugural feast cooked in it which consisted of lobster with ginger, garlic, shallot, spring onion, some other chinese flavours, salt and pepper. Not a bad Sunday night dinner.

I plan to see Borat tonight which it seems is all very wrong but a funny escape from a week of growing anxiety. It wasnt until a few years ago that I even knew that Kazakhstan existed as a place . I was working in Japan and walked into my friends office one day for morning tea. There was a guy there who I assumed was Japanese as he looked Asian, but he was actually from Kazakhstan. I remember being really shocked. That meeting fuelled my fascination with the spread of ethnicity over borders and the mixing of ethnicity, cultures and religions. I think it is especially interesting in those parts of the world. Here is some more info.

No comments: