7 November 2006

out of step

Today is the famous 'horse race that stops a nation' the Melbourne cup. I have tried year after year to get excited about this holiday/race but have never been able to muster any. I have just decided to accept I am out of step with this celebration and be happy not to be part of it and take advantage of the quiet streets, parks and public places (even though it is very wintery weather today). Tragically, there was huge parade in the city yesterday with horses, jockeys, models and the like, and I didnt even know it was on, until I was trying to rush to my Chinese class and many roads were closed and there were thousands of people in town. I do read the paper but seem to have missed much about the Melbourne cup. I find it hard to explain to vistors that we have a public holiday for a horse race and that it is limited to the boundaries of Melbourne. Maybe I'm just a big old sourpuss and need to lighten up and just go with it. I must say I do feel better for making a decision that it OK not to get involved.

That said, I am beginning to understand what 'heavily pregnant' means and why people refer to it in the last weeks. You just feel heavy. My darling and I went to the Melbourne institution of Lebanese food last night called Abla's. Was soooooooooo delicious (most creamy, wonderful hummus and homemade lemonade with rose water) but somehow through the dinner, it was like a rip cord had been pulled on my body. I took my shoes off during dinner but they didnt seem to fit when it was time to go....my feet had swollen about 2 sizes. My stomach being squashed at the moment frustrated me as I can only eat small amounts, but I know that only an hour or more after I will be hungry again.....so 4 am I'm sitting on the couch eating a bowl of sustain :(

So, I'm just happy to be out of the loop for the day. I'm looking for a decenct don buri today, I wonder if any places will be open?

No comments: