7 January 2008

the time has come.....



.....for more curiosity and fun. Moochie is bored with me all the time and his incessant curiosity will not wait while I do boring household chores. So its time for him to enter childcare for as little as half a day or up to 2 full days depending on what I can find. I'm sure this will create the right balance for both of us. Since I do not know anyone in Tokyo who has done the research, I'm working from scratch to find a suitable place as well as find out all the 'quirks' which might also be known as 'systems' that I need to be aware of. Here are some of the more interesting things I have found out in my research:

  • average one off enrolment fee is about $2000
  • some centres charge $100 a month 'toilet training' fee
  • daily fees start at about $60 and go up from there....
  • some centres change nappies AND clothes every hour on the hour
  • some centres make you take home all dirty nappies
  • some centres only allow cloth nappies

I will post more as I learn how things work, but always when entering a new culture that is very different from your own, learning and ACCEPTING and not asking why every 5 minutes, is sometimes challenging!! I guess I am looking for something that I feel comfortable with, is affordable and will be the best environment for mooch. I guess I am lucky that he can be in a place that despite what appear to be strange rules to me provides him (and me) the chance to appreciate how others do things. And this is the point of the whole trip!!

1 comment:

Mummy Bear said...

I know just how you feel about the Why?...Except that it is not me that is asking these questions...it is the bear! Every 2minutes! Why why why fills my day and my brain because sometimes why is really hard to answer.

Take nappies home? You have got to be joking...but ok if that's what it takes...I would draw the line at changing the clothes every hour though lol...imagine the washing pile...

Good Luck with your search! Hope you find what you and the mooch need. It certainly saved my sanity