8 May 2009

plastic bag picnic sheet re-made

Here's an easy thing to do with old shopping bags and a sewing machine! Follow these easy steps to make your own very foldable, designer picnic sheet!! Make your picnic sheet the envy of your buddies!!...yeh!!
I saved the back of the shopping bags to sew pieces together to make a double sided sheet, mostly for durability....but if you have lots of coloured bags you could make it part of the design....(if small rips happen as a result of rough ground you can use clear tape to repair...bonus....)
If you are really keen you can measure each size to be the same and make an exact patchwork, my skills arent that good so an approximate match was all I was aiming for :)

I needed a way to keep the back and front of the sheet together so added a few sticthes here and there. I found it easier to do by hand rather than machine but you could do either. You could also do a great design or add names, I just followed the chefs hat as I liked the design....and the flip side has a nice contrast of stitches and white bags......

I used a little bit of frill from a purple bag. I sewed them on but have found it is also easy to stick them on with clear tape.....frill designs and colours are also unlimited!!

my ever faithful model!!........this little one folds up into a tiny square to fit into your bag or pocket...its a step up from sitting on a simple plastic bag to protect your bottom from wet grass!!
And if you are very organised you could sew up a small pouch to put the picnic sheet into and then throw into your bag or basket!

1 comment:

Hello Sandwich said...

This is so cute and so clever! I love love love!
I have also emailed a link to my friend who runs a blog called 'dear plastic' and I think she will love it too!
Love Love
Hello Sandwich
xxx