22 September 2009

ohh I'm stll here :)

..and I was just thinking about a small, yellow canary we had as a kid. He was actually my sisters but we all got to benefit from his lovely song. His name was Rupert, after my grandfather who had raised him. We often called him Rupie and my grandfather often got Rupe. I remember this little bird was an amazing singer but sometimes got a bit too much, too loud and too long so a big tea towel was thrown over the top of his cage to signal GOODNIGHT....after he died we kept him in the freezer for a long time (the canary not my grandfather..)....I just remembered that.
We took one day from this crazy Silver Week of public holidays to go to Kawagoe, a supposed 'old town' nearby Tokyo. The above shot is the centre of 'old town'...I don't need to elaborate on our disappointment....we visited this old town about 5 or 6 years ago, so we were expecting something like it.....
I really just wanted to say this...but of course I always get a kick out of this stuff.....every Japanese (and Japanese speaker) knows FU-KU-RO means owl, and this sign was also quite cute..even though I had to giggle......
this tower is the high point of the town......ummm ok then,
.....for me I preferred the small, very cute shops in the side streets.....
this coffee shop was just so nice......
and what a bakery!..some things are just so lovely to balance out an otherwise very disappointing place....but better luck next time :)

No comments: