27 September 2009

this week...

we have eaten very well!....this dish, niku jaga is the most easy and tasty meat and potatoes dish ever....when it was first introduced to me in Japan, I was amazed there was a 'traditional' dish called Mick Jagger!!...Eventually we worked out I was getting niku (meat) jaga (potato) and Mick Jagger mixed up.....hehehe, I'm sure he wouldn't think that was too cool, sorry Sir J....in addition we have eaten homemade bakuteh, beef rendang, oden, whole chicken, grilled scallops with ginger and spring onions and went out for dinner one night!...dinner out was thoroughly disappointing compared to the dishes we have eaten during the week...it is always a bummer to try a new restaurant that is low quality.....but, on the upside, by chance I met an old buddy of mine from the West of Japan and he took us to a beautiful Italian place for lunch. The restaurant buys wild pigs from the West and makes hams and sausages for the restaurant. When I lived in the West, I often saw those wild pigs caged and ready for the slaughter...creepy.....I even got to see one slaughter in action...very creepy...but it is in the boonies and most people are farmers so its the way of life there.....and the just pigs run wild in the mountains.....and rice fields....along with the monkeys, wild bears and other creepy crawlies.....
we spent some time running around Tokyo university......pretty shabby grounds for one of Japans top universities....but nice spaces and lots of pretty ginko trees!.....
making stuff as always......
and painting stuff....

and feeling the change of early Autumn. Its still warm enough for a t-shirt but the suffocating heat has gone, its really a wonderful time of year!
..and look at the grass...I wish I could say it was mine...after my green grass growing success of 2008, the 2009 version is somewhat patchy and weedy....the grass above is in the delightful Shinjuku gyoen...the only place with such grounds in Tokyo.....
and what can I say! I love the combination of artwork and functionality. When kids are crawling over it the whole 'precious and be careful and quiet' about the artwork goes out the window. This kind of artwork serves several wonderful functions, a public sculpture to admire and think about and a chance for our kids to really engage with artworks, ask questions about its shape and colour etc and feel confident connecting with it, something as adults we don't do, coz we are busy being careful and quiet......

No comments: