13 August 2008

Shimane

Shimane is on the west coast of Japan, low population, lacking in any sort of coffee or much hope of a bright and sustainable future. Its just full of old people with most of the young people going to the cities for their life and opportunities BUT...Shimane is one of the most special places to me. Having lived there for 3 years a while back, it gave me the chance to learn a lot of things and more importantly meet a lot of amazing people. Returning there now, after almost 10 years, was a wonderful experience. Almost nothing has changed, except all the people I knew there now are married and have kids (or left). The oldies still live everyday amongst the gorgeous nature and it is no wonder everyone is so relaxed about life. Shimane is the yin to Tokyo's yang, at least that is how I felt. Sitting on the bridge in the morning in the middle of town while moo just scurried about the rocks I felt it impossible to have all that nature and the convenience of the city. I feel so lucky to have the chance to be part of both worlds with both making me feel happy and content in different ways. I also know I am part of the world in Oz too which is an extra special layer of happiness.

Picking blueberries and eating them off the tree was so cool. My friend was so happy to let her kids run off while I was constantly checking to see if moo was not getting bitten by a snake/spider/falling in a ditch......it was nice to be around such relaxed Mums....


These were for us to taste test in case we needed any more convincing to pay the $10 to pick as much as we could!!.....in addition the lady had some frozen face towels so when we returned from picking she had them ready to cool our very hot bodies...I forgot the incredible kindness, thoughtfulness and politeness of Shimane people. They are so infectious that when I see/feel them it makes me want to be more kind, thoughtful and polite.
Green tea and local sweets are just normally given to any guest at this friends house. This family are farmers and while there I always get to try some new kind of fruit or vege from the garden. This time the nuts from the lotus flower. Tastes like coconut to me....The Dad in this family is the son of a local scholar who wrote history and poetry so their house is filled with lots of writings on the screen doors and beautiful artworks and sculptures. Being summer the house is wide open so you can see the moutains and river outside and smell the sweet air mixed with incense.

This huge river filled with fish and ducks cuts through the centre of town.

The main street is often deserted....

These are the kinds of people who never leave your heart or mind.

Plums drying in the sun ready to be made into umeboshi (pickled plums) eaten usually with rice. At this stage they taste more salty than a huge mouthful of sea water......

This is my ever lasting image of memory of Shimane. Rice, quiet, peace, friends, water and time. Time always seems so short but in Shimane it seems there is always enough time to do everything you need or want to do.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, thanks for sharing!