23 February 2009

Lena Corwin love...

My dearest bought me the lovely Lena Corwin's book "Printing by Hand" and vowed I would make something from it before the book got dusty or just dog eared from lots of leafing through and admiring the nice styling and great ideas.....so, more recycled gomi (the nice word for rubbish) and look at this.

The book comes with a pattern for all the stencils so its so easy...the old wooden boxes, I originally thought would be good for organising a small persons car collection, but I thought my sewing stuff could graduate from a cheese box to something a bit nicer...

I cut out the shapes directly from "contact", that sticky stuff you used to use to cover your school books.....(I wouldnt recommend to use it again.....tell you why later)
...looking like a pro already.....
...nice even before I pulled off the red stencils......
....the sticky contact separated when I pulled it off...maybe the pourous surface wasnt such a good combination with it...so the edges of the stencils were far from clean. I used a pencil eraser along with a stanley knife tip to scratch the excess sticky stuff off, then rub with the eraser....the whole process of cutting the stencils and painting took less time than the scraping....but, now it looks great....but...the final photo is on another camera so will post tomorrow! It was so much fun, I have been planning this design on every surface I can get my hands on....but then I thought, I can just do my own design, minus the contact.....g-e-n-i-u-s!! yay!!!

No comments: