4 May 2008

food celebration



This is a regular dinner for us. I really cannot speak any more highly of the food quality here in Tokyo. Everything tastes so good and is so fresh. I thought instead of always saying how good it is I would include some photos of things we actually make and eat....the main dish is a white fish (like tuna - oily and tasty), cut into chunks and seared and prawns, caramelised onion, spring onions, garlic, ginger and those big black and red things are dried chillis (brought all the way from Footscray). The flavour includes fish sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper and a few other bits and pieces. The side dish is green vege and prawns with garlic and ginger. We eat this with rice. It takes about 10 mins to prepare and less than 10 mins to cook.

Acknowledging the serious food shortage (and water) which is faced by many millions, I want to make sure I dont waste any food. I dont usually waste a lot but weekly, there is stuff I throw out. So I have a new shopping strategy. Asian shopping generally relies on day to day shopping, Japan is no exception, which explains why the shopping trollies look like they are for Barbie. This is to maximise the fresh goods available on the day. However, everything is always available here so I can put a bit of planning together and buy only what I need, instead of what I think I need and waste less time and energy by going every other day. F and V dont last a week. And this ties in well with my little mooch's shopping aversion at the moment. It also makes me wonder why the F and V that I used to buy at home could last a lot longer in the fridge than here....?

No comments: