25 March 2009

a little find...

Since my life revolves around play parks and doing things with my kiddo, I am always looking for a new place to go...it can be daunting in a very big city as there is often so many choices.....also, being unfamiliar with most places, things that look good on the internet in reality are sometimes very far away! I am also always looking for a playpark that might have some equipment that was installed after 1950's...a tough ask....playparks are generally very depressing, run down, poorly maintained, unsafe (metal/broken/old/hard ground/sandpits used as dog/cats toilets and cigarette butts bin) and usually no fences even when close to interstate highways.......and usually, as they are one of the few public places that has seats and bins, it attracts the millions of chain smoking office workers on breaks, hundreds of homeless dudes who set up their homes as they have no where else to go, lots and lots of filthy ferel cats etc etc....so its always a competition between kids having some where to play, even if it is often unsafe and unclean and the rest of society.......after all that complaining......, this place was a winner, and you know why, coz you have to pay to use it!! It is part of a small urban zoo and it was the best!! It wasnt so new either but it had a lot of soft stuff on the ground from the big trees above and it was pretty clean. After looking for a zoo on the internet I found 5 in the Tokyo areas....this one was in Kichioji, a place I know because of the excellent craft shop Yuzawaya. This zoo is also part of a huge gardens and I cannot believe it has taken me a year to find it! This zoo has only small animals and one elephant, really just for kids. It costs about $5 AU for me to get in and mooch was free. I took a picnic and we had such a nice time. The cherry blossoms are starting to come out and the trees spotted throughout the zoo are just so pretty. There was a lot of kids there as it is spring break, so there was a lot of energy about and it was just really, really nice. Oh, I forgot to mention, its about 30 mins drive from my door...or just a short train trip so extra bonus points for that....
There was a lot of guinea pigs and goats you can pat....
the most lovely owls to look at.....
and one elephant who looked quite happy..........even though she has been there since the 70's......

checking out of the zoo and wandering in the gardens nearby is a lovely temple.....

surrounded by a lake, with magnolia and cherry blossoms all around.....and a lot of big, fat and happy looking carp in the water...Mooey said "dolphin" when he saw one! I couldnt have agreed more, they were huge.............this is a place I hope to come back and explore further, lovely :)

No comments: