20 March 2009

oh tokyo....

I'd have to say, I am far more critical of Tokyo as my home away from home, than I am of my home town, Melbourne. In saying that, the longer I am here, I become more fond of the things I like and begin to ignore the things that I ignore at home....or maybe I'm just becoming desensitised to those things.....but, I will never stop being disgusted/amazed at the amount/location of vomit I see everyday....ok, that's another post, another day.....

Today Tokyo rocked, or should I say, on cue according to the weather report (something I read every day and IS accurate to the hour)....this arvo, the clouds parted and the most beautiful warm sunshine came down on all us tired of winter Tokyoites.....man, what a powerful mood changer.................
I got mooch and pooch and trike in the car and headed to the huge park in town (but I didnt know every other man, woman, child and dog had also planned this).................I think I posted about this tree above last year, a most beautiful white magnolia tree, it is the most incredible spectacle, it was illuminated against the sky and the way the sun was shining was just so pretty, almost magical. When a gust of wind blew, the petals fell down like snow...it was breathtaking for just that moment....then I had to chase after mooch who had decided to chase after 2 kids on bikes.....poor Long Long just got dragged along but he was happy to be outside. The sequence of flowers here is beautiful. First ume, then magnolia and then the cherry blossom...and lots of other little guys in between and after but almost everytime you go to the park there are new flowers to see. No wonder everyone wants to get outside and sit under the flowers and get drunk, so damn happy winter is over!
...just like this guy...................theres so much water everywhere, so I let him play with the drinking fountain, in fact, I think the only tantrum, we had today was when it was time to leave, I tried to tell him, I too would rather stay and play instead of go home and cook dinner and do the dishes/washing/ironing........the people out today had such a good mood, a lot of picnics and drinking parties, lots of people busking but not asking for money, so maybe they just practise, even a digeridoo player! Lots of kids out running with muddy knees and shoes, people in t shirts, joggers, cyclists, parents and little babies, people laughing and eating and drinking starbucks, taking photos, juggling, dogs walking with tails in the air and sniffing a lot of other dogs wees, couples on dates, homeless dudes asleep without any covers, shrieks, laughs, clapping, singing, talking, playing badminton....a huge pool of positive energy. I usually hate going to the park and having to share it (what an Aussie) but today it was a pleasure. People smiled at each other and were just happy to be in the sunshine.
..........c'mon weather, just a few more weeks of this beauty and people energy to soak up and save before the suffocating weeks upon weeks of summer sweat, but not before the weeks of soggy, sweaty, stinky, moist, mouldy rainy season......oh Tokyo...................

1 comment:

Mark Lawrence said...

That is such a lovely photo of mooch looking up with a huge smile on his face. I'm glad that you're enjoying the season's change in Japan, and the cherry blossoms. I wondered that it was that season again up north, and it got me thinking about you and your blog again, and well - the timing! Cherry blossoms and spring fun galore!

sorry i've been away from reading your blog for so long. Things have been super busy and very eventful - bad and good - the too many months.

but i guess for those irregular readers who are struck by something in particular about a blog - your writing, the setting, your drawings, your trials to carve a place for 'you, mooch and the pooch' in Tokyo, whatever – we eventually come back.

ps, i like the scarf, btw.