19 February 2008

belated appreciation - sorry

This is the best news I have heard in a long time. I rarely, ever, get excited about Australian politics. It seems like forever that an inspirational word or deed has been spoken or enacted by our most prominent 'leaders'. Leadership, which is think is the most overused and abused word in our current vocabulary, has been so sadly lacking for so many years it was a sweet shock to read and know of such a great act by the current PM. I am not too sure what will happen from now in terms of actual progress and benefit to Aboriginals and stolen generation peoples, but the words spoken are heartfelt and really capture what I think, many people believe. It is a start. While reading these words I actually started to cry, yes, moved by the words of a politician, a modern one, and the PM of Australia. Hard to belive I know. I think I wasnt the only one. Being out of the hub bub and hype, I can only see what is promoted through my own channels of news access. The International Herald Tribune had it on the front page two days in a row, The Economist didnt seem to pick it up, but they are a bit busy with the US at the moment I guess. I am a lurker on a few peoples blogs, that is, I read them but the authors dont know, and this guy Mark Lawrence is an articulate and great writer of many things. I really loved his post about the apology . I feel very proud to be an Aussie in a time where I actually really believe change for the better can happen, that the goverment has a vision that is exciting and is not afraid to do things that go against the previous goverments thoughts, policies and deeds AND the deputy is a woman (and a cool one too)!! Go Aussie Go.

1 comment:

Mark Lawrence said...

Hi Paula, thanks for the link to my blog, and your kind words about what I share there.

I'm glad you enjoyed the events of the day, and felt so inspired.