2 February 2008

Day 5 & 6 - Finding things out

Tokyo has been so good this far, even though it is coming up one week it feels like we are very comfortable already. Except that we are missing some useful furniture, clothes and familar things. We have done some shopping these past few days to get things like plates and other things to eat off and cook with. I will be so glad when our pots and pans arrive as I am making everything out of one small pot. The food has been awesome, Japan knows about food. But we still have yet to eat sushi, I guess we are busy trying to get our lives in order and settle in, these other things will come. And now my week long stomach ache and twitiching eye have settled down, I can get back into some serious eating of good foods!! The 100 yen shop is excellent for setting up a house as they sell all kinds of stuff like cleaning things, plastic bags, scubbers, all that stuff that costs a fortune if you buy it from the supermarket. I have found a little local 100 yen shop, but it is downstairs on the way to the subway so I will have to reserve those visits without the mooch as it is not pram friendly.

So what have I found out? Well, life actually does go on, despite sometimes it feels like it wont. Things are easier than they seem, especially when you think they are going to be impossible. Having life experience and knowledge helps when making big changes in life less scary because you have some secure backup knowing that things are going to be great and fun and wonderful even when small hiccups seem big at the time. Life is easier and more fun than you expect it to be as long as you keep positive, interested, busy and engaged with what is going on around you and with your family and friends.

A trip like this helps to reflect on these things. Really, the only thing I am finding difficult is re-adjusting my usual routine. My morning routine is usually a big walk and a coffee and a play at the park. So I have been unable to find a good play park or a good coffee shop just yet. But I have seen some cool houses, some amazing parking of big cars in very small places, some very polite litter, many bikes, dogs and surprisingly many very quiet streets.


This was someones front gate. Beautiful wooden sliding doors opening onto a garden. I have learned our street etiquette of the porch light. You should leave it on, until you go to bed. We have a small lantern in the front garden which I think looks so nice, so I have left that light on and hope it is enough. I have only seen one neighbour even though Im sure they have seen us as we have no curtains yet. I bought lots of shortbreads to give and neighbourly hellos so will distribute them when they arrive and hope they are not in crumbs. I do have some anxiety about the rubbish as you have to sort it and then put it out on the right day. If you do it wrong they leave it or bring it back to your house. My bags have been sitiing there for a few days now so I must have it wrong. I have bought 3 small bins all with labels so when I throw it out hopefully it will be in the right bag.

This is the kind of 'kids play park' I keep finding all over the neighbourhood. It is no wonder there are never any kids playing in these places......old, dirty, depressing..........I hope to find a nice bright and safe looking place with some laughing kids soon. In the meantime there is the best facilities at the department stores. The Mum's room is also for Dad's and has these amazing set ups like a nursery with 5 or 6 change tables, microwave, feeding rooms, changing rooms, sinks with all kinds of water, couches, high chairs, food and drink machines and the best is large carpeted areas for the kids to play on (with books and toys). It is so good for interaction and to give the kids (and parents) a break when shopping. I have found most department stores in the downtown area have them. They also let you use their store prams (which makes sense as it sucks bringing them on the train - most people use a baby bjorn or sling). And the best part is everyone respects the place and keeps it clean and neat and cleans up their own mess.
Long Long is doing fine, the stairs are quite narrow and floor is very slippery so we are attaching some non slip stuff to the stairs and hopefully he can use them without him or me having an anxiety attack.
The mooch got his first pair of walking shoes today. White (pearlised) leather boots with blue stripes and velcro srips, what a tendsetter.
It is said to snow tonight, I will keep you posted xxx

No comments: