25 February 2008

Day 23-26 - language awareness


My Japanese is at a level where I can get by day to day without too many hassles but I cannot have a good conversation. My vocab and grammar understanding is not developed enough to have a complicated conversation and I find this very frustrating. I am looking at finding a place I can do some study to get to the next level. I used to get a thrill when I could make myself understood but now I need to get the thrill back by having a good, decent conversation, which Im sure will take some time. It is quite easy to live in Tokyo and not meet any Japanese people which, considering the population of Tokyo is that of all of Australia, is quite amazing. When I was living in the Japan countryside it was impossible to meet a foreigner, so exposure to the language was just a part of the day to day experience of life. I now actively seek opportunities to speak Japanese. I had a huge realisation too, one that everyone studying a second language realises sooner or later, Im sure. There is really never a direct translation because the nuance of language is not easy to quantify in actual words. I havent grasped this yet. So, when I speak Japanese, I use a lot of Australian habits. I often find these are the times when I am most misunderstood. I guess the learning of a language is more than just the vocab and grammar etc, it is also about getting the nuance and timing correct. And having exposure to the culture and peoples in conversation is the only way you can pick these things up in a natural way. Best go find me some friends!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hi Paula

Here's a blast from the past! Eily Hsu, Hannah Carpenter and I all met up in Dublin over the weekend. We had a lovely time - talking, partying, drinking, reminiscing. At some point we were on the computer and Hannah looked up your blog. Eily and I were fascinated to read through what you have been been up to and look through the pictures of your gorgeous "mooch". It seems that you are having a wonderful time spending time with your family in Tokyo.

I am in London working right in the city centre and enjoying life here. I've been back to Akagi once since leaving JET and would love to go back for another visit. Still in touch with many JET friends which is great.

All the best.
Rachel x